Saturday, November 15, 2003

Matthew's in town!!

We took in the Death Cab for Cutie and Nada Surf show at the Henry Fonda last night and decided it was the best performance by Death Cab either of us has ever seen. DCFC has a tendency of being a bit boring live, but last night they managed to rock just a little harder. Maybe it was the Joy Division cover, I don’t know. And even when they played the song about the girl from Silver Lake “with the light brown streaks,” I didn’t even mind that Ben was airing our dirty laundry. PS. Nada Surf rule.
And it isn’t a LA rock show without a celeb spotting. Last night, the cast of The OC were milling around in the audience. (Who knew they enjoyed the sensitive indie-rock?). I screamed “Chino!” repeatedly at the show’s star, but I guess he didn’t hear me because he never said hi back. It was loud in there after all, so I forgive him.
Lots of friends were also in attendance, which is always nice to see. Tricia did a great job at introducing Death Cab, and I managed to convince Tim to let me be the new keyboarder in his band (I’m holding you to that one, Tim). Check us out on Dec. 6th at Spaceland. Also fresh off their tour with Cursive, members of the Jealous Sound came out to support their good friend Ben. If you don’t have their latest album from Better Looking Records, then you are just not cool.
Afterwards, Matthew and I hit up the Burgundy Room to see Mo who was DJ-ing for a nightcap before calling it a night. Good times.