Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Knock It Off

The Stills will be on Carson Daly tonight. He’s on at like 1:35am on NBC. Will someone TIVO this for me? If I am awake at this hour, I sure hope I’m not home watching TV.

I have coupons for two dollars off The Vue show at Spaceland tonight. I can’t believe I even wrote that last sentence. Coupons for a rock show? Whatever. E-mail me if you want them.

Last night I totally flaked on going to see Prosaics (Mission of Burma meets Joy Division meets the Misfits) last night with Radio Berlin. I just couldn’t get motivated. Instead I watched The Simple Life and worked on my holiday mix. I know I should hate Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, but they totally cracked me up last night. They worked at Sonic Burger and when given the task of changing the marquee to read “1/2 of Burgers all Day,” they put up “Anal Salty Weiner Burgers.” They were being totally rude and inconsiderate to everyone around them and having fun at other people’s expense, but I liked it. Does this make me a bad person?

While working on said holiday mix, I was thinking trying to think back throughout 2003 and remember what was noteworthy. I kept thinking of crazy trends, etc. and decided that some of these need to be put to rest. So here is sampling of things that we should all leave in 2003. I’m giving you 3 weeks to get these out of your system, so consider yourself warned.

NYC Scene: STOP referring to bands, clothes, or lifestyles as being influenced or resembling the New York City scene. It’s dumb, it’s over-played, and even your mom talks about it now.

Pretending you’re a member of the Polyphonic Spree to pick up girls/guys: Actually this wasn’t a trend. Why didn’t I think of this sooner?

Trucker Hats: Burn them. Please. It’s not funny anymore. Which brings me to…

Irony: Can you believe a high school vocab word became trendy? Good Lord. You know what’s Ironic? NOT dressing Ironically. Symbolism is going to be the new Irony. Pass it on. (I wear this army coat, which symbolizes my feelings about the war in the Middle East. I wear this black arm band to symbolize all my dead homies. I wear this eye patch to symbolize my love of pirates.)

Actors holding a public office: 2004 is an election year. Let’s get over this one before it becomes too late.

Outkast: Is there such a thing as too much of a good thing?

Blogs: Wait, how did this one get on the list? Since LA hasn’t’ really caught on to this one yet (especially funny since there are so many “writers” in this town) this won’t be over on the west coast until 2004.