Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Let Them Eat Cake

For those of you not in LA and might not know, we have been experiencing a major supermarket strike here for over a month now. The strike began Oct. 11, when workers staged a walkout at Safeway's Vons and Pavilions stores because of proposals to cut health benefits and to create a substantially lower pay scale for new hires, which “the man” said they needed to do in order to compete with Wal-Mart Stores. The next day, Albertsons and Ralphs, a subsidiary of Kroger (which are somehow connected to Safeway) locked out their workers.

Today they are organizing a protest march that begins in Century City and continues onto to the Beverly Hills Pavilions. Fight the good fight people. I’m just glad they aren’t doing it during rush hour. Traffic here is bad enough.

But how does affect the rest of us? Unless you like to cross picket lines, you are now shopping at Trader Joes (cheap health food, and really the only place you should shop anyway) or Gelson’s (over priced supermarket). Or if you’re the type to like 3 gallon jugs of mayonnaise, you go to Costco.

Since the strike, I’ve decided to not food shop at all and see how long I can go in support for my local supermarket worker. Plus, since everyone that used to go to Ralphs or Pavilions are now shopping at Trader Joe’s, my local TJ’s has become too insane just to pick up a loaf of bread. Since eating out all the time isn’t ideal on my wallet, though Jack In the Box’s new chicken stripes are better and more addicting that crack, I’m also trying to figure out how to eat free in this town. So far, I’m succeeding. December is an easy month to eat free as long as you don’t care about getting all four food groups covered in one day. This weekend was holiday party after holiday party which spanned gamut from appetizers and bake goods to all you can eat sushi and filet mignon dinners. The gift baskets and bagel breakfasts have also been pouring in at work. I’ve eaten more chocolate in the past two weeks than I have all year. I’m almost not craving it anymore. Almost. Yesterday we had a birthday celebration, so it was a cake lunch. Today, we had a breakfast for the tenets of our building, so at least I got some protein in with an omelet. Some thought this refusal to go grocery shopping would turn into a hunger strike for me, but instead has turned into a gross display of bad eating habits.

In the New Year I’m going totally vegan, except I will still eat chicken stripes from Jack In the Box with my chocolate milk shake. Yum.