Monday, December 15, 2003

On Tap

Before I run down some notables for the week, I have to tell you more about the new car. I've gone 300 miles in it so far and not stopped to fill up the gas tank. If I could marry this car I would. And as Derrick, husband of Joanna, said after seeing it this weekend: "And it's not even ugly." Thanks Derrick. So in addition of seeing and doing all the things listed below, I encourage all of your to go test drive the new Honda Civic Hybrid. It's exactly like any other four-door civic, except it's not burning away the ozone layer and all your money at the same time. You get a tax break for buying one, and it actually winds up paying for itself. So if you don't do it for the environment, then do it for yourself.


Monday
American Music Club @ Spaceland.
Yes, I will be listing this show every week of this month. It's free and they rock.

Tuesday
Frank O Gehry: Work In Progress @ Museum of Contemporary Art
You'll have to do this on your lunch hour because the exhibit, though open for the entire month runs from 11am-5pm except for Thursdays, where the museum stays open until 8pm. I didn't have anything for Tuesday, so that's why it's listed today instead of Thursday. P.S. He's an architect.

Wednesday
Mark Lanegan @ El Rey
Go see this guy. And if you don't own a Screaming Trees record, get yourself to Amoeba immediately. Greg Dulli is going be playing the keyboard at this show. Many cigarettes will be smoked between them.

Thursday
Kiss & Aerosmith @ The Forum
I actually don't recommend this show, but any guys who are that old and are still rocking should be commended.

Velvet Hammer @ The Derby
It's a burlesque show. I predict this trend will go away in 2004.

Recommended by K.B.:
Kid Lightning and friends @ Hotel Cafe
"Kid Lightning is the kind hunky Dave Gibbs from the Gigolo Aunts... Nina Gordon, Kay Hanley and probably loads of other talented ex-Bostonians are among the 'friends' --pretty spiffy"

Friday
Pinback @ El Rey
I can't say this show is going to be good. They've always disappointed me live, but I really dig their albums.

I Am Spoonbender @ The Echo
Avant-garde new wave. That's probably not the best description for them, but all I can come up with on a Monday morning.

Eric Idle (from Monty Python) @ Henry Fonda Theater
He's funny.

Saturday
Griffith Park Light Festival @ Griffith Park from 5-10pm
I guess this is our version of Rockefeller Center?

Sunday
Extreme Elvis @ Spaceland
I have no idea what this is, but by name alone warrants checking out.