Sunday, February 08, 2004

Rock the Something or Other

At the Rock the Vote awards last night, the crowd seemed much more impressed with themselves than the people on the stage. No one took notice of any of the performers until The Pussycat Dolls came onstage, and that was the after-party. I wasn’t paying attention because I was still swooning from seeing Jake Gyllenhaal walk by me. But he came and went, and I was stuck in a virtual WB kids party all night. Not fair. Of course the cast of The OC were there because they like the rock. I waiting for them to start recognizing me at this point. P. Diddy showed up, which is amazing since it was the same night as the Clive Davis party. I’m sure he multi-tasked it. And I congratulated JC Chasez on his NFL statement in response to them pulling him from performing at some game. I should have said nice job on your manager’s part for approving such a well-written statement by your publicist, but I’m sure he is a busy guy so I kept it short.

But enough star spotting, since the night was about rocking, let me go back to that. Fountains of Wayne were up first. They’re from Jersey, so they are ok by me. Next was the Black Eyed Peas. I feel blasé about them. I can see why people would like them though. Then N*E*R*D* came on. And I like NERD. Then Good Charlotte joined them onstage. And now I don’t know what to think. They don’t need pop punk kids to put on a good show. Why would they do that? It makes no sense to me. I understand they are crossing over and blurring genres and We are the World and all that, but come on… it’s Good Charlotte! All and all, I had a lot of fun. I have to wonder though how many people from last night, performers included, will actually vote in the up-coming election.

Register to vote here.

I also saw The Dreamers on Friday night. Controversary aside, it was a good movie. Go see it.