Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Death to the Pixies

Ok seriously, I have a bone to pick with this whole Pixies tickets debacle. I sat at my computer Monday morning from 9:45am-10:30am hitting the refresh button trying in earnest to get me some Pixies love for their show at UC Davis. Tickets went on sale at 10am. Did I get any? NO. WTF? How? I was online and ready. I even had my boss’ credit card info with permission to use! How was I not one of the lucky ones to actually get through and grab at least one measly ticket? Who are you people that actually did get tickets? Are you the ones that bought them only to sell them on Ebay for 5 times their original price? If so, I hate you. But I’m willing to make up if you give me a ticket. I’m even willing to pay the $25, but not a penny more. I don’t give into to scalpers. That would be encouraging such behavior, and who wants to do that?

Side note: Saw Nader on Bill Maher last night and I couldn’t help getting sucked in again and really thinking about voting for him. He just seems to make so much sense to me. Call me a tree-hugging hippie, but I really want someone in office who will pay attention to the environmental problems we are currently facing. And I just feel like he would look out for the little guy more so than anyone else. Have you ever been in a car accident, but an airbag saved you from serious harm? You can thank Nader for that. Concerned about the safety of nuclear energy? So is Nader. Supermarket strike got you down? Nader has been a strong voice for years concerning worker’s right. And the man doesn’t eat hotdogs.

And please don’t throw that he’s a spoiler argument out. If we keep using that excuse, we will never get past a two party system (which will all know does not accurately represent the public). According to the exit polls conducted by Democratic pollster Stanley Greenberg, fully 25% of Nader’s votes in 2000 came from Republicans, 38% from Democrats, and the remainder from people who would not have voted. So there. Republicans voted Green too.

Have I bored you enough with the political talk?