Monday, March 29, 2004

On Tap

I saw Dawn of the Dead this weekend and I can’t stop thinking about it. I even dream about it. During the opening scene, I screamed. Then the credits came up and I thought to myself how the hell am I going to make it through 2 hours of this? I constantly looked at my watch throughout the movie, not because it was boring or bad, but because I wanted to see how much longer I would have to endure the hell that was on the screen before me. These kinds of horror movies stress me out. But then again, Leave It To Beaver stressed me out as a kid too. Why did the Beav always have to get himself into those jams? I hated it. And I hate the idea of locking yourself in a mall while thousands of zombies are waiting outside to eat you. Waiting to die—I don’t get it. Just shoot yourself already. End of film.

On a related note, I was down in San Diego on Saturday night to see N.E.R.D. and the Black Eyed Peas (going to this show was not my idea). NERD didn’t go on until 2:30am. I was miserable. I’m still sick, mind you. All I wanted was to be home in LA in my bed. Instead, I was at an annoying hip-hop show surrounded by boys in khakis and girls in halter tops. To entertain myself, I imagined zombies coming into the theater and eating all the concert goers. I was omniscient, of course, so I remained unharmed. When Pharrell sang his song about liking a girl’s brain, it was all I could do to not laugh thinking he was singing about eating her brain instead of appreciating her intellect.

Monday, 3/29
The Von Bondies @ The Troubadour
I wouldn’t recommend paying to see this band, but if you’ve got the free hook-up, then it’s worth it.

Modest Mouse @ House of Blues
Yes, the Mouse is playing LA again. It’s a simple case of supply and demand.

Nellie McKay @ Knitting Factory

Heidi Fleiss movie on USA @ 9pm
For some reason I am drawn to this trashy tv movie. I’m so watching it.

Tuesday, 3/30
The Breeders @ The Troubadour

Kennedy @ The Fold
Silverlake’s rockstar who happens to live in Burbank. Go figure.

Nellie McKay @ Largo

Wednesday, 3/31
Sea Ray @ Spaceland
They have someone in the band who plays the cello. I love the cello.

Kristin Engisch’s Birthday!! Happy Birthday Kristin.

Thursday, 4/1
Fuck Cancer @ Spaceland
This is the only show you should concern yourself this night. It’s for a great cause and The Breeders, Lou Barlow, Har Mar Superstar and some special guests will perform. Advance tickets are sold out, but tickets will be available at the door the night of the show.

The Liars @ The Troubadour
So you didn’t get into the Fuck Cancer show. Ok, you can go to this one instead.

Glastonbury tickets go on sale.

Friday, 4/2
Sun Kil Moon @ The El Rey

Saturday, 4/3
The Elected/Azure Ray @ The Troubadour
I LOVE the Elected’s debut. Hear it here.

Nick Oliveri @ Spaceland
Go and ask him exactly what happened between him and Josh and the future of Queens of the Stone Age. No really, do it. I’m sure he’ll love it.

Sunday, 4/4
Daylight savings time.
We lose one hour, so stay home and try to make it up.