Friday, April 16, 2004

At the Movies©

I dig movies almost as much as I dig music. Since I usually give the rundown of music shows for the week on Mondays, I thought I might as well even it up and give a rundown of movies to see over the weekend. Here’s the start of something I might make a habit. No promises.

Opening this weekend:
Kill Bill Vol. 2
I didn’t even bother to go see Kill Bill Vol. 1. Shocked? I know I’m supposed to be some sort of Tarantino fan, but there are still some hard feelings there from Jackie Brown and From Dusk Till Dawn. Everyone else seems to have forgotten about those.

The Punisher
Gory gross movie based on some comic thing or whatever. Next.

Connie and Carla
Two girls running from the Mob go to LA and pretend to be drag queens. Wackiness ensues when a boy falls for one the fake drag queens. Stars the girl from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which is possibly the most successful film where no one knows the star’s real name.

Young Adam (NY and LA only)
Stars Ewan McGregor's penis.

A Thousand Piece Clouds Encircle the Sky (NY and LA only)
Mexican film about a gay boy who just broke up with his dying lover.

Currently in theaters:
The Passion
Never heard of it.

Hellboy
Still mad about this beating Walking Tall for number 1 a few weeks ago.

Walking Tall
So it’s not going to win any Oscars. Go see it anyway.

Johnson Family Vacation
Is this like National Lampoon’s Vacation, but with an urban twist?

The Alamo
This film owes Jason Patric for his public intoxication arrest for garnering it any press.

Home On the Range
I like Disney films. Shut up, I do.

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Skip it.

The Whole Ten Yards
Who knew Whole Nine Yards was successful enough to warrant a sequel? But isn’t it creepy how they are trying to push how buddy-buddy Matthew Perry and Bruce Willis are in the press? It comes off a little forced and scripted.

Ella Enchanted
Next.

The Girl Next Door
This is rated R. I totally thought it was a teen flick at first though since it’s being marketed to kids just as hard as Camel cigarettes.