Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Happy to be sad

So I went to the Ben Lee show last night, and though he was good, The Like just blew him off the stage. Watch for them. They’re like the Go-Gos meeting Sleater Kinney at the junior prom. But, back to Ben Lee… He did a cover of Modest Mouse’sFloat On.” That was pretty cool, and inspired a sing along to the original while driving home with friends. He also finished with a song that had lyrics which went something along the lines of:

They play Good Charlotte on the radio
And that’s good enough for me.
They play Rilo Kiley on the radio (side note: Jenny Lewis was in attendance)
And that’s good enough for me.
They play Beyonce on the radio
And that’s good enough for me.
They don’t play me on the radio.
But that’s alright with me.


That kind of made me sad, but also smile at the same time.

Speaking of being sad but smiling, Jimmy Fallon’s last episode of SNL was this past Saturday. I tried watching it amidst a birthday party in a bungalow at the Château Marmont, but we were barely able to get people to quiet for the Olsen Twin’s monologue (or duo-logue… whatever it’s called when two people are monologing at the same time.) See, typing that sentence made me sad but smile. It’s sad that I’d rather stop a party to watch SNL, but at the same time, that’s kind of funny to me, so I smile. Sad but smiling: the new ugly-hot.