Thursday, June 10, 2004

Stop, Drop, and Listen

I’m listening to KCRW again in the morning since I’m no longer allowed to listen to KEXP at work over my computer. This morning, they had a new one from Rilo Kiley on, whose lyrics made stop what was I was doing and listen closer to the song. So I wrote it down (though I may have the exact wording wrong), with a few other lyrics that I could think of off the top of my head have had the same affect on me. Enjoy.

Talking leads to touching
and touching lead to sex
and then there’s no mystery left.

--“Bad News” by Jenny Lewis/Rilo Kiley

Religion don’t mean a thing
It’s just another way to be right wing

--“Jonathan Fisk” by Britt Daniel/Spoon

Even when the breath between us
Smells of alcohol
Call it confusion
In the best way possible

--“The Remote Part” by Roddy Woomble/Idlewild

When I used to go out, I knew everyone I saw
Now I go out alone, if I go out at all

--“The Rat” by Hamilton Leithauser/The Walkmen

I'm in Los Angeles today:
Garbage cans comprise the medians of freeways always creeping
even when the population's sleeping.
And I can't see why you'd want to live here.

--“Why’d You Want to Live Here” by Ben Gibbard/Death Cab for Cutie